Monday, May 22, 2006

The Joys of EVDO and Wireless Lust

It's been a while since I used Verizon Wireless' EVDO service, which I subscribe to. Troubles with my ancient ThinkPad were to blame. Well, I buckled down over the weekend and fixed those minor problems (software, not hardware), and am up and running again. Now if I can get the WiFi connection to work . . .

Anyway, I've rediscovered that rush of excitement that high-speed wireless brings. I've clocked this puppy at more than 500kpbs in my office. At home, I couldn't get over 120 kpbs -- apparently this is not EVDO territory and it defaults back to the slower 1XRTT. Of course, I've already got an Internet connection at home, through Cox Communications.

And Palm has added EVDO to its latest Treo.

"You can use the Treo 700p as a wireless modem for your laptop or desktop computer. Palm now includes an easy to setup DUN (dial up networking) connection that can be used over Bluetooth or with the USB cable. The included USB cable will now also trickle charge the device so you don't have to worry about draining the battery when using it in DUN mode. Not all carriers may support this feature, and some might even require you to purchase a additional DUN data plan."

Drool.





<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?