Monday, April 17, 2006

Hiltzik replies

Michael Hiltzik has just emailed me defending his analysis of Hewitt's Web site. I will look at it tonight and post my reply.

Thank you, Michael, for taking the trouble to explain your case in greater detail. If I am wrong, you will see me promptly eat crow.

FWIW, I don't think the LA Times' woes can be so easily attributed to its supposed ideology as Hewitt claims. The Times is far from alone in fighting declining circulation. And remember, the numbers are down from the days of former publisher Mark Willes, who added a lot of circulation that was of questionable quality.

What really disturbs me is unquestioned errors, such as the Dec. 27 LAT story in which the reporter was fooled by a fake press release. It also passed through the Times' legendary four levels of editing.





<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?